Canister vacuums are a popular choice for people looking to buy a vacuum cleaner. The best canister vacuums are a type of vacuum cleaner in which the suction motor and filtering system is housed in a square or rectangular body. This is one of my essential tools when I started out.
The top of the line canister vacuums incorporate a “clean air system” and is known from producing strong suction especially when used with attachments. If you clean large areas of flooring, then a canister vacuum cleaner is for you. In addition, if you have asthma or allergies, go with a canister bagged vacuum that has a good bag and a filter.
The advantage of canister vacuum is its maneuverability. It is easy to use canister vacuums under tables and low furniture, something that is hard to do with a traditional upright vacuum model. Another advantage is that canister vacuums are easy to store as it takes up smaller space.
The disadvantage of canister vacuum is that because of the need to haul the unit, it requires more energy to tug the canister. Canister vacuums also usually require separate heads for carpet and bare floors which will need to be manually changed. Overall, canister vacuums cost more than upright vacuums of the same quality.
Now that you have been introduced to canister vacuums, we reviewed some of the best canister vacuum cleaners out there to help you decide on what model you want, need, and should get!
Best Canister Vacuum Reviews Start Here
Miele S2121 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Editor Recommendation: Best overall canister vacuum, get it now!
This Miele S2 Olympus vacuum cleaner is great for smooth surfaces to solid surfaces such as tiles and hardwood to rugs and carpet. I like that it has six power settings so you can easily vary the suction power according to the flooring you are cleaning. Another thing I like is that it already includes three accessories — a dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle.
- Good on low profile rugs but best on hardwood
- Quiet and efficient. Variable suction options are great as you can put on quiet mode without waking up small children
- Easy to maneuver, compact, and lightweight
- Replacement bags slightly pricey
- Lightweight because some of the components is made of plastic
- Cord is short so may need an extension, depending on area of cleaning
Panasonic MC-CG917 “OptiFlow” Bag Canister Vacuum Cleaner
This Panasonic canister vacuum cleaner model has the OptiFlow Technology which helps maintain a consistent volume of airflow through the dust bag even as it fills up with dirt. It also has a HEPA filter which effectively captures small particles such as allergens, irritants and pollutants.
- Uses large, high quality dust bag with an above average capacity to store dirt. Bag is made of cloth-like material
- Great suction power effective in sucking up dirt and pet hairs
- Optimal selection of tools and storable onboard: Air turbine pet hair brush, upholstery tool, crevice tool, hard floor tool, and dusting brush
- 6 feet hose is sturdy and flexible
- Air turbine brush is less efficient than that of a similar motorized brush
- Lack of bag full indicator
- Height indicator on the power nozzle a bit difficult to see
Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum, 3670G
Editor Recommendation: Best value canister vacuum! AMAZON BEST SELLER
This Mighty Mite canister vacuum has powerful brush rolls that is effective in cleaning carpets. It also has a full set of tools for specialty cleaning such as stairs and upholstery. It is also great for cleaning the insides of a car as it can suck up small particles from under the seats. Overall, for its price, it is one of the better affordable vacuums out there.
- Floor attachment moves easily and flattens itself allowing you to completely get under furniture with low clearance.
- Long cord and long hose means no need to keep unplugging
- Great value in terms of cost vs. performance
- Vacuum bags are not popular and may be harder to find replacement
- Great for old rugs that can be easily damaged by rotating brushes, not the best for non-carpeted flooring
- Noticeably louder than other vacuum cleaners
Bissell Zing Bagless Canister Vacuum, Caribbean Blue
Editor Award: Most environmentally friendly canister vacuum
The Zing bagless canister vacuum is a convenient whole-home cleaning system. The vacuum is lightweight and its compact design makes it easy to move around the home. The variable suction control means that you can turn the suction down and clean fabrics. Also pretty affordable in my opinion.
- Very lightweight and easy to carry up and down the stairs
- Best for tile and laminate flooring. Not so much for wall to wall carpeting
- Bagless which makes it easy to dispose the dirt and reassemble
- After some use, motor starts to make sounds and give off smell
- Hose and pipe are not as sturdy. Not good when warranty is up
- Cannot be used for heavy duty cleaning. Good for dust pick up in the house
Sanitaire SC3683A Detail Cleaning Commercial Vacuum
Editor Award: Top commercial canister vacuum
The Sanitaire lightweight HEPA-ready commercial canister vacuum is great for bare floors and hard surfaces. This vacuum comes with a carpet cleaning attachment that you can use for low-pile carpet and area rugs. Vacuum features a completely sealed filtration system to prevent dust leakage. Given its price and performance, this vacuum is great if you are just starting a commercial cleaning business.
- Bag is very easy to remove and replace
- Cord is 20 feet long and wraps underneath the vacuum
- Hose is sturdy and does not kink when used
- Hole in extension of vacuum is larger causing less suction per square inch
- Tends to overheatsquickly. Be careful with the handle, the body, the plug, and the outlet.
- Bag has no closing flap causing dirt to spill out when bag is removed while unit is in cleaning position
These are the best canister vacuums that are on the market and accessible. If you can think of any others please comment below!