Starting your own business is not for everyone. Being an entrepreneur requires certain traits and these traits are essential to be successful. You should reflect and assess whether you have the relevant traits to start and run your own business. To get you started, here are 5 traits that are key to being a successful business owner.
1) Resilience – Owning your own business requires resilience. Starting a business is not easy and there are numerous challenges along the way. You need to remain resilient through the highs and lows of your journey including sales rejection and setbacks. Be committed and dedicated to the goals you have set out for yourself and always remind yourself of the reasons why you are trying to be a successful business owner.
2) Budget-minded – This skill is particularly useful if you are a first-time business owner. When you are starting out, there will be expenses such as cleaning supplies and equipment to get you off the ground. This is normal and necessary but you need to take note of these expenses so that things do not go out of hand. Make sure that your service rates are enough to cover your costs and still provide a decent margin of profit.
3) Action-oriented – If you are your own boss, you need to be a self-starter because nobody will be there to determine your task for you. In the beginning, you will need to do a lot of work yourself or with the help of your business partners such as calling customers, restocking on suppliers, and doing administrative work. Once your business is off the ground and you start to develop a list of clients, you must ensure great results to help you gain loyal and repeat customers.
4) Organization – You must always plan your work. Be detail-oriented and have paperwork and other documents in order. Make sure you have adequate cleaning supplies on hand. Landing new account requires work so it is important to always stay focused and be organized.
5) Salesmanship – Finally, you need to learn the art of selling your cleaning services. Promote your business wherever you are. Be active in social media such as Facebook and make sure your business is listed in directories such as Yelp. More importantly, be honest with potential clients so that they will trust and hire you and your team.
There you have it! Reflect on your skills and experiences and determine whether you have what it takes to be a successful business owner.
Do you think there are any other traits that I didn’t cover? Please comment below!